Apply for the Program
Make a Donation
Village of Hope Guidelines
Numerous addicts sharing a house, each trying to remain sober, each wanting to overcome his life-controlling problem, while finding himself in the midst of years of stored up anger, resentment, frustration, and remorse. Sounds like a breeding ground for fights, parties and general chaos doesn’t it?
It is impossible to run a program with as many people as we do without some guidelines to bring order to the chaos! Following is a list of Official Village of Hope Guidelines, which we will be held accountable to during our stay at the Village of Hope.
- No use of tobacco products will be permitted at any time. Violation of this rule is grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Medications can only be used under the direction of staff. We must be very sure to turn all medication over to him at our first interview. Possession of any drugs or alcohol is grounds for immediate dismissal. Medication distribution is monitored.
- We will practice proper personal hygiene by bathing daily, brushing our teeth regularly, and wearing clean clothing every morning. If we need toilet articles or clothing we ask our team leader.
- Proper clothing must be worn for different activities. Shoes and shirts must be worn in the dining hall. No shorts or sleeveless shirts may be worn in the dining hall during meal times. Tank tops are allowed to be worn at work and shorts may be worn at sporting activities, but shirts are to be worn on weekends, since families are here.
- We are not to have more than $20.00 in our possession at any time during the program. If we have extra money we can give it to our instructor and it will be held in the office. Large sums of money have a way of taking us out of the program.
- If single or divorced, we do not cultivate romantic relationships while we are a resident in the Village of Hope program. Romance and regeneration do not mix. We do not engage in conversation with women in church or the wives of other men in the program.
- Be courteous to others in the dining hall. Guests always eat first. Remember, everyone is going to eat, so there is no need to run up to be first in line. No one has ever gone hungry at The Village of Hope.
- Everyone is to be in the dining hall on time for the blessing.
- We do not remove food, cups, or glasses from the dining hall. We do not keep food in our rooms. This causes sanitation and bug problems. All snacks kept in the room must be sealed and put away. No coolers allowed to be used in dorm room.
- We turn off all lights and fans, when not in use. No other electrical appliances are permitted in the rooms. We take personal responsibility for saving fuel and electricity.
- We do not drive any vehicle without permission. Ask your work crew leader where to park the vehicle at night. Oil, water and fuel should be checked every day before using vehicles and tractors.
- Laundry will be your own responsibility and we will use the machines in a respectful manner. We do not overload the machines, we clean all debris from clothing before loading. We change and wash our sheets bi-weekly.
- Privacy: Each man’s room is his home at the Village of Hope. We respect his right to privacy. We do not take articles out of anyone’s room without his consent. Do not go into an empty dorm room that you do not live in.
- No radios, TV’s, or stereos are allowed in the dorm. All time at The Village of Hope should be focused on our recovery.
- Mail is distributed at the dining hall at supper time. We do not go to the office to get it.
- We do not ask to use the phone, except in emergencies. We learn to write letters; this is a necessary part of our discipline.
- There are no trips to town or weekends off while we are in the 10 month program.
- Everyone must observe “Quiet Time,” every day from 7:25 – 7:55 a.m. We do not hold conversations during this time. Everyone should be seated at a selected place, prepared for “Quiet Time” before 7:25 a.m. New men will have an assigned quiet time partner for the first 6 days.
- No one is to be on any of the job sites past working hours without permission from a work crew leader or staff member. This is for the safety of everyone.
- Everyone is to come to class dressed and ready for work. There is a whole crew waiting on us so we need to learn responsibility and be at our designated work area on time. Do not leave your work site during working hours, including break time without staff approval. No going into the dorms or rooms either for any reason unless you have approval from your work crew leader.
- We are up and out of bed no later than 6:00 a.m. Monday – Saturday.
- We make our bed every morning when we get out of it. We keep our room clean at all times.
- We do not invite guests to visit, eat meals, or stay overnight, without permission from the director.
- Undesirable literature is strictly forbidden. We can’t clean our head out if we continue to feed it garbage.
- We do not engage in extended conversations about our past life in alcohol or drugs (“war stories”). We have come to The Village of Hope to get away from that lifestyle, not to cultivate it. We talk about the present and the future, not the past. If we are having problems in the present that are directly related to a past memory, then of course this is permissible to talk about in order to receive ministry.
- Our progress in each of these areas will be evaluated weekly:
- Room cleanliness – by dorm monitor and staff
- Class participation – instructor & small group leader
- Work habits – by work crew leader & sociogram
- General attitude – by staff & sociogram
- We do not leave The Village of Hope property with visitors, unless we have special permission from the program director.
- We do not drink coffee during work hours. We can eat all we want at mealtime, but we work when we work. Establishing good work habits is a vital part of rebuilding our life. A lack of discipline in our work habits reflects a lack of sincerity in our regeneration program.
- The canteen hours are announced in the dining hall. Nothing is sold at any other time. We do not ask for special canteen privileges. Learning to cope with adverse situations and being sensitive to other people’s needs without reverting to the use of chemicals is a lifelong process, which we will learn to use while here at The Village of Hope.
- Sunday – Friday you are to be in your dorm by 10:00 p.m. You are to be in your room by 10:30 p.m. Your lights are to be out by 11:00 p.m. Saturday nights be in dorm by 11:00 p.m. Be in room by 11:30 p.m. Lights out at 12:00 a.m. midnight. No women allowed in men’s cabins at any time. This includes but not limited to: wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters.
- No threatening talk or fighting allowed. Violation of this rule is grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
- The weekend begins Friday at 5 p.m. and lasts until Sunday at 5:30 p.m. During these hours, when not working or in church, is the only time you may play basketball, volleyball, fish, or play games or instruments.
- Be on time for class, 8:00 a.m.
- All homework questions are to be done in pencil.
- Sit up straight and pay attention.
- Raise your hand to speak.
- Always bring your Bible, journal, binder with paper, and pencil.
- Take notes
- If you get sleepy, then stand up behind your chair.
- No horseplay will be permitted.